2015 Iowa Pork Queen Contest Rules & Guidelines
1. The Iowa Pork Producers Association selects an Iowa Pork Queen and Iowa Pork Princess annually to assist with state pork promotional and educational activities.
2. The Iowa Pork Queen competition is held annually during the Iowa Pork Congress in Des Moines in January. The 2015 Iowa Pork Queen contest will be held at the Des Moines Downtown Marriott and the Iowa Events Center on January 27 and 28.
3. NEW: There is no longer a limit of one contestant per county for the Iowa Pork Queen competition. Any female who meets the criteria below and is passionate about the Iowa pork industry is eligible to compete.
4. Contestant requirements include:
5. The Iowa Pork Queen and the Iowa Pork Princess will be asked to assist with state promotional and educational activities which may include but are not limited to:
- Age requirements: Senior in high school up to age 20 at the time of the Iowa Pork Queen contest (Jan. 27, 2015)
- Contestant must be single with no children and remain so during the entire year as Iowa Pork Queen and/or Iowa Pork Princess
- Contestant must be a resident of the state of Iowa
- Contestant must be involved in the pork industry or the son/daughter of parent or guardian involved in the pork industry --- owner, operator or pork allied industry
- Parent or guardian is encouraged to be a member or associate member of the Iowa Pork Producers Association
- Contestant may be members of the Iowa Pork Producers Association, but it is not required
- Contestant must foster and promote the consumption of pork, both personally and publicly
- Contestant may not serve as an ambassador/queen of other state level organizations while serving as the Iowa Pork Queen or Iowa Pork Princes
- Contestant may run for Iowa Pork Queen again if they are not appointed a title, providing they still meet all the above requirements.
6. Interested candidates must submit their contact information to IPPA by October 1 every year. Any County Pork Queens (that we know about) will receive an official invitation from IPPA in the fall to compete in the Iowa Pork Queen contest.
- World Pork Expo
- Iowa Pork Youth events
- Iowa State Fair
- Iowa Pork Congress
- Various state promotional and educational activities
7. Contestant will need to respond to IPPA with their intent to participate, biography and photo by December 1, 2014.
8. The Iowa Pork Queen contest judging will be based on the following:
- Personal Interview --- Contestants will have a 10-minute personal interview with the judges.
- Speech Presentation --- Contestants will be required to present a speech on a subject relative to the pork industry. The speeches will be given in an extemporaneous style with contestants being allowed 30 minutes of prep time after they choose their speech topic. The speeches will be judged on content and delivery. Speeches are to be a minimum of 3 minutes and not to exceed 5 minutes. Speeches will be timed and the times will be submitted to judges. Contestants are allowed to use note cards during their speech but will not be allowed props or other aides. Contestants will use a microphone during their speech.
- Media Interview -- Contestants will participate in a mock media interview. The 2-3 minute interview will be on pork industry-related topics. It will be videotaped and played back for the judges.
- Personal Presentation --- Contestants will be judged on how they handle themselves in various situations, on how they relate to others, how they present themselves and professionalism.
- Knowledge Quiz --- Contestants will participate in a short quiz testing their knowledge of the pork industry. This is a fill-in-the-blank written test
- Biographical Form --- Contestants will be judged on how they complete a biography answering the questions provided by IPPA. The biography must be submitted to IPPA by Dec. 1, 2014.
9. Guideline for how to dress are as follows:
- Business professional attire is required for contest activities.
o Business professional dresses/skirts and dress pants/pantsuits are acceptable (no jeans).
10. The Iowa Pork Producers Association provides meals and lodging during the contest. Contestants are encouraged to contact their counties for assistance with other state contest expenses (travel, parking, your parents’ lodging, etc.). Once elected as Iowa Pork Queen or Iowa Pork Princess, your expenses will be covered by the Iowa Pork Producers Association.
- Formal attire is required for the Iowa Pork Congress Banquet
o When representing IPPA (contest activities, banquets, promotional events, trainings, etc.) the following guidelines should always be followed: No strapless or low cut tops, dresses/skirts should be at least knee length, no jeans, no flip flops and no transparent fabrics.
For more information regarding the Iowa Pork Queen contest, contact the Iowa Pork Producers Association at (800) 372-7675.