Iowa Pork Queen Contest Rules & Guidelines
1. The Iowa Pork Producers Association selects an Iowa Pork Queen and Iowa Pork Princess annually to assist with state pork promotional and educational activities.
2. The Iowa Pork Queen competition is held annually during the Iowa Pork Congress in Des Moines in January. The 2014 Iowa Pork Queen contest will be held at the Des Moines Downtown Marriott and the Iowa Events Center on January 21st and 22nd.
3. Each county pork producer’s organization is entitled to enter one contestant to compete in the Iowa Pork Queen contest. If the county does not have an organized Queen contest and there is a qualified candidate who would like to run, that county can appoint her and send her to the Iowa Pork Queen Contest.
4. Contestant requirements include:
● Age requirements: Senior in high school up to age 20 at the time of the Iowa Pork Queen contest (January 22, 2014)
● Contestants must be single with no children and remain so during the entire year as Iowa Pork Queen and/or Iowa Pork Princess
● Contestants must be a resident of the state of Iowa
● Contestants must be involved in the pork industry or the son/daughter of parent or guardian involved in the pork industry --- owner, operator or pork allied industry
● Parent or guardian is encouraged to be a member or associate member of the Iowa Pork Producers Association
● Contestants may be members of the Iowa Pork Producers Association, but it is not required.
● Contestants must foster and promote the consumption of pork, both personally and publicly
● Contestants may not serve as an ambassador/queen of other state level organizations while serving as the Iowa Pork Queen or Iowa Pork Princess.
● Contestants may run for Iowa Pork Queen / Iowa Pork Princess again if they are not appointed a title, providing they are still within the required age group and sent by their county
5. The Iowa Pork Queen and the Iowa Pork Princess will be asked to assist with state promotional and educational activities which may include but are not limited to:
● World Pork Expo
● Iowa Pork Youth events
● Iowa State Fair
● Iowa Pork Congress
● IPPA Committee Day
● Various state promotional and educational activities
6. County pork producer organizations must submit their county queen information to the IPPA office by October 1st every year. County Pork Queens will receive an official invitation from the IPPA office in late fall to compete in the Iowa Pork Queen contest.
7. Contestants will need to respond to the IPPA office with their intent to participate, biography and photo by December 2, 2013.
8. The Iowa Pork Queen contest judging will be based on the following:
● Personal Interview --- Contestants will have a 10-minute personal interview with the judges.
● Speech Presentation --- Contestants will be required to present a speech on a subject relative to the pork industry. The speeches will be given in an extemporaneous style with contestants being allowed 30 minutes of prep time after they choose their speech topic. The speeches will be judged on content and delivery. Speeches are to be a minimum of 3 minutes and not to exceed 5 minutes. Speeches will be timed and the times will be submitted to judges. Contestants are allowed to use note cards during their speech but will not be allowed props or other aides. Contestants will use a microphone during their speech. Speeches may be videotaped for judging purposes only.
● Media Interview -- Contestants will participate in a mock media interview. The 2-3 minute interview will be on pork industry-related topics.
● Personal Presentation --- Contestants will be judged on how they handle themselves in various situations, on how they relate to others, how they present themselves and professionalism.
● Skill-a-thon --- Contestants will participate in a short skill-a-thon testing their knowledge of the pork industry. This is a fill in the blank written test.
● Biographical Form --- Contestants will be judged on how they complete a biography answering the questions provided by IPPA. The biography must be submitted to the IPPA office by December 2, 2013.
9. Guideline for how to dress are as follows:
● Business professional attire is required for contest activities.
o Business professional dresses/skirts and dress pants/pantsuits are acceptable (no jeans).
● Formal attire is required for the Iowa Pork Congress Banquet
o When representing IPPA (contest activities, banquets, promotional events, trainings, etc.) the following guidelines should always be followed: No strapless or low cut tops, dresses/skirts should be at least knee length, no jeans, no flip flops and no transparent fabrics.
10. The Iowa Pork Producers Association provides meals and lodging during the contest. Contestants are encouraged to contact their counties for assistance with other state contest expenses (travel, parking, your parents’ lodging, etc.). Once elected as Iowa Pork Queen or Iowa Pork Princess, your expenses will be covered by Iowa Pork Producers Association.
For more information regarding the Iowa Pork Queen contest, contact the Iowa Pork Producers Association at (800) 372-7675.