The Iowa Pork Producers Association selects an Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassador annually to assist with state pork promotional and educational activities. These are the general rules for the Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassador contest.
Contestant requirements include:
- Age requirements: Senior in high school up to age 20 at the time of the Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassador Contest.
- Contestants must be single with no children and remain so during the entire year as Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassador.
- Contestants must be a resident of the state of Iowa.
- Contestants must be involved in the pork industry or the son/daughter of parent or guardian involved in the pork industry --- owner, operator or pork allied industry.
- Parent or guardian is encouraged to be a member or associate member of the Iowa Pork Producers Association.
- Contestants and/or parents may be members of the Iowa Pork Producers Association, but it is not required.
- Contestants must foster and promote the consumption of pork, both personally and publicly.
- Contestants may not serve as an ambassador of other organizations while serving as the Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassador.
- Contestants can only participate in the Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassador Contest once.
The Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassador will be asked to assist with state promotional and educational activities, including:
- World Pork Expo
- Iowa Pork Youth Conferences
- Iowa State Fair
- Iowa Pork Congress
- IPPA Committee Day
- Various state promotional and educational activities
Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassadors will receive an official invitation from IPPA in October to compete in the Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassador Contest. Contestants will need to respond to IPPA with their intent to participate by mid-November.
The Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassador Contest judging will be based on the following:
Personal Interview - Contestants will have a 10-minute personal interview with the judges. The interviews will be videotaped for judging purposes only.
Speech Presentation - Contestants will be required to present a speech on a subject relative to the pork industry. The speeches will be given in an extemporaneous style with contestants being allowed 30 minutes of prep time after they choose their speech topic. The speeches will be judged on content and delivery. Speeches are to be a minimum of 3 minutes and not to exceed 5 minutes. Speeches will be timed and the times will be submitted to judges. Contestants are allowed to use note cards during their speech but will not be allowed props or other aides. Contestants will use a microphone for their speeches. Speeches will be videotaped for judging purposes only.
Media Interview - Contestants will participate in a mock media interview. The 2-3 minute interview will be on pork industry-related topics.
Personal Presentation - Contestants will be judged on how they handle themselves in various situations, on how they relate to others, etc.
Skill-a-thon - Contestants will participate in a skill-a-thon testing their knowledge of the pork industry.
Biographical Form - Contestants will be judged on how they complete a biographical form that is provided to the contestants by the IPPA. The forms must be submitted to the IPPA office by December.
Guidelines for how to dress for the competition are as follows:
- Business attire is required for contest activities.
- Girls: Dresses and/or skirts. Pants and pantsuits are now acceptable (no jeans.).
- Boys: Suits, Jackets, Dress Pants, Dress Shirt, Tie are acceptable (no jeans).
- Business attire is required for the Iowa Pork Congress Banquet.
The Iowa Pork Producers Association provides meals during the contest. Contestants are encouraged to contact their counties for assistance with state contest expenses.
These rules are subject to change.
For more information regarding the Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassador Contest, contact the Iowa Pork Producers Association at (800) 372-7675.