Home > Iowa Pork Youth Team > Youth Ambassador Contest > Contest Rules
2015 Premier Pork Youth Ambassador Contest Rules & Guidelines
1. The Iowa Pork Producers Association selects an Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassador annually to assist with state pork promotional and educational activities.
2. The Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassador competition is held annually during the Iowa Pork Congress in Des Moines in January. The 2015 Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassador contest will be held at the Des Moines Downtown Marriott and the Iowa Events Center on January 27 and 28.
3. The Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassador contest is open to any male or female who meets the criteria below and is passionate about the Iowa pork industry.
4. Contestant requirements include:
5. The Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassador will be asked to assist with state promotional and educational activities that may include but are not limited to:
- Age requirements: Senior in high school up to age 20 at the time of the Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassador Contest (Jan. 27, 2015)
- Contestants must be single with no children and remain so during the entire year as Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassador
- Contestant must be a resident of the state of Iowa
- Contestant must be involved in the pork industry or the son/daughter of parent or guardian involved in the pork industry --- owner, operator or pork allied industry
- Parent or guardian is encouraged to be a member or associate member of the Iowa Pork Producers Association
- Contestant and/or parents may be members of the Iowa Pork Producers Association, but it is not required
- Contestant must foster and promote the consumption of pork, both personally and publicly
- Contestant may not serve as an ambassador of other state-level organizations while serving as the Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassador
- Contestant may participate again providing they were not selected as the Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassador and they still meet the above requirements
6. If IPPA is made aware of county-level Pork Ambassadors, they will receive an official invitation from IPPA in October to compete in the Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassador Contest. Any other interested candidates should submit their contact information to IPPA by Oct. 1 every year.
- World Pork Expo
- Iowa Pork Youth Conferences
- Iowa State Fair
- Iowa Pork Congress
- Various state promotional and educational activities
7. Contestant will need to respond to IPPA with their intent to participate, biography and digital photo by Dec. 1, 2014.
8. The Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassador Contest judging will be based on the following:
9. Guidelines for how to dress for the competition are as follows:
- Personal Interview --- Contestant will have a 10-minute personal interview with the judges.
- Speech Presentation --- Contestant will be required to present a speech on a subject relative to the pork industry. The speeches will be given in an extemporaneous style with contestants being allowed 30 minutes of prep time after they choose their speech topic. The speeches will be judged on content and delivery. Speeches are to be a minimum of 3 minutes and not to exceed 5 minutes. Speeches will be timed and the times will be submitted to judges. Contestant is allowed to use note cards during their speech, but will not be allowed props or other aides. Contestant will use a microphone for their speech. Speeches may be videotaped for judging purposes only.
- Media Interview -- Contestant will participate in a mock media interview. The 2-3 minute interview will be on pork industry-related topics.
- Personal Presentation --- Contestant will be judged on how they handle themselves in various situations, on how they relate to others, how they present themselves and professionalism.
- Skill-a-thon --- Contestant will take a short quiz testing their knowledge of the pork industry.
- Biographical Form --- Contestant will be judged on how they complete a written biography. The forms must be submitted to IPPA by Dec. 1, 2014.
10. The Iowa Pork Producers Association provides meals and lodging during the contest. Contestants are encouraged to contact their counties for assistance with other state contest expenses (travel, parking, lodging for parents, etc.). Once elected as Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassador, your expenses will be covered by the Iowa Pork Producers Association.
- Business professional attire is required for contest activities.
- Girls: Professional dresses/skirts or dress pants/pantsuits are acceptable (no jeans). Close toed shoes.
- Boys: Professional suit or jacket with dress pants, dress shirt and tie are acceptable (no jeans). Close toed shoes.
- Business professional attire is required for the Iowa Pork Congress Banquet.
- When representing IPPA (contest activities, banquets, promotional events, trainings, etc.) the following guidelines should always be followed: No strapless or low cut tops, dresses/skirts should be at least knee length, no jeans, no flip flops and no transparent fabrics.
For more information regarding the Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassador Contest, contact the Iowa Pork Producers Association at (800) 372-7675 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Iowa Pork Congress Program
4.99 MB PDF