Iowa Pork Industry Facts:
• At the end of 2008, Iowa had 8,300 hog operations.
• At any one time, there are approximately 19 million pigs being raised in Iowa.
• Approximately 30 million hogs are raised in Iowa each year.
• Iowa producers marketed more than 37 million hogs in 2008.
• The U.S. pork industry marketed more than 121 million hogs in 2008.
• Iowa is the number one pork producing state in the U.S. and the top state for pork exports.
Source: National Pork Board, Iowa Agriculture Statistics Service www.nass.usda.gov/ia/
Iowa Pork Production Economic Contributions:
• The Iowa pork industry generates nearly $950 million in household income for pork producers.
• More than 39,000 jobs are directly related to raising and caring for hogs in Iowa.
• Iowa pork production alone contributes nearly $5 billion to the Iowa economy.
• Several billion dollars are generated in the state each year from pork processing activities.
• The total value added by Iowa pork producers to the state is more than $2.5 billion.
Statistics based on 2007 U.S. Census of Agriculture and analysis by Spencer Parkinson of Decision Innovation and Iowa State University.