- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 1 large red bell pepper (cut into half inch strips)
- 1 large orange bell pepper (cut into half inch strips)
- 1 red onion (cut into half inch strips)
- 2 TBSP vegetable oil
- ½ tsp seasoned salt (or regular salt)
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 – 8 oz block cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 bunch green onions, finely chopped
- 1 box Puff Pastry
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 8 eggs
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium sized skillet over medium heat, crumble sausage and cook until browned. Drain. Set aside.
- On a sheet pan, combine bell pepper slices, onion slices, vegetable oil, salt and pepper. Toss to coat vegetables in oil and seasonings. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until tender, and vegetables browned on edges. Remove and set aside. Raise oven temperature to 425 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, combine cream cheese and the chopped green onions. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Remove puff pastry from freezer. Let thaw a few minutes until it is soft enough to be rolled out. Roll to a 12 inch x 12 inch square. Cut into four equal squares. Gently trace a border within the puff pastry pieces one inch from the edge. Dock the inside of the square with a fork. Freeze for 10 minutes. Repeat with the second sheet of puff pastry.
- Remove pastry from freezer, brush each square with well beaten egg. Add 1 TBSP cream cheese mixture to the middle of each square, within the lightly cut border, spread evenly. Add 2-3 tablespoons of sausage crumbles and an assortment of pepper and onion strips. Form a “well” in the middle of the sausage, peppers, and onions. Crack the egg into the well.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until the egg is set.
- Garnish with parsley. Serve warm. Makes 8 large servings.