The annual Iowa Pork Youth Leadership Team contest is open to any male or female who is passionate about the Iowa pork industry and meets the requirements listed below.
The Iowa Pork Youth Leadership Team competition is held annually during the Iowa Pork Congress in Des Moines in January. The 2018 Iowa Pork Youth Leadership Team contest will be held at the Des Moines Downtown Marriott and the Iowa Events Center on January 23 and 24.
The Iowa Pork Producers Association will select an Iowa Pork Queen and two Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassadors to assist with state pork promotional and educational activities throughout 2018. The female contestant with the highest score will automatically be crowned Iowa Pork Queen.
Contestant requirements include:
- Age requirements: Senior in high school up to age 20 at the time of the Iowa Pork Youth Team Contest. (Jan. 23, 2018)
- Contestants must be single with no children and remain so during the entire year as Iowa Pork Queen or Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassador.
- Contestants must be a resident of the state of Iowa.
- Contestants must be involved in the pork industry or the son/daughter of parent or guardian involved in the pork industry — owner, operator or pork allied industry.
- Parent or guardian is encouraged to be a member or associate member of the Iowa Pork Producers Association.
- Contestants and/or parents may be members of the Iowa Pork Producers Association, but it is not required.
- Contestants must foster and promote the consumption of pork, both personally and publicly.
- Contestants may not serve as an ambassador of other state level organizations while serving as the Iowa Pork Youth Leadership Team.
- Contestants may participate again providing they were not selected as the Iowa Pork Queen or Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassador and they still meet the above requirements.
The Iowa Pork Youth Leadership Team will be required to assist with state promotional and educational activities that include but are not limited to:
- World Pork Expo
- Iowa State Fair
- Iowa Pork Congress
- Various state promotional and educational activities totaling 100 hours
If IPPA is made aware that a contestant is a county Pork Queen or Ambassadors, the contestant will receive an official invitation from IPPA in October to compete in the Iowa Pork Youth Leadership Team Contest. Any other interested candidates should submit their contact information to IPPA by Oct. 1.
Contestants will need to respond to the IPPA office with their intent to participate, biography and digital photo by Dec. 1, 2017.
The Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassador Contest judging will be based on the following:
- Personal Interview — Contestants will have a 10-minute personal interview with the judges.
- Speech Presentation — Contestants will be required to present a speech on a subject relative to the pork industry. The speeches will be given in an extemporaneous style with contestants being allowed 30 minutes of prep time after they choose their speech topic. The speeches will be judged on content and delivery. Speeches are to be a minimum of 3 minutes and not to exceed 5 minutes. Speeches will be timed and the times will be submitted to judges. Contestants are allowed to use note cards during their speech but will not be allowed props or other aides. Contestants will use a microphone for their speeches. Speeches may be videotaped for judging purposes only.
- Media Interview — Contestants will participate in a mock media interview. The 2-3 minute interview will be on pork industry-related topics.
- Personal Presentation — Contestants will be judged on how they handle themselves in various situations, on how they relate to others, how they present themselves and professionalism.
- Skill-a-thon — Contestants will take a short quiz testing their knowledge of the pork industry.
- Biographical Form — Contestants will be judged on how they complete a written biography. The forms must be submitted to the IPPA office by Dec. 1, 2017.
Guidelines for how to dress for the competition are as follows:
Business professional attire is required for contest activities.
Girls: Professional dresses/skirts or dress pants/pantsuits are acceptable (no jeans). Close toed shoes.
Boys: Professional suit or jacket with dress pants, dress shirt and tie are acceptable (no jeans). Close toed shoes.
Formal attire is required for the Iowa Pork Congress Banquet.
When representing IPPA (contest activities, banquets, promotional events, trainings, etc.) the following guidelines should always be followed: No strapless or low cut tops, dresses/skirts should be at least knee length, no low backs, no midriff showing, no jeans, no flip flops and no transparent fabrics. Boys: a suit is considered formal attire.
The Iowa Pork Producers Association provides meals and lodging during the contest. Contestants are encouraged to contact their counties for assistance with other state contest expenses (travel, parking, lodging for parents, etc.). Once elected as Iowa Pork Queen or Iowa Premier Pork Youth Ambassador, your expenses will be covered by the Iowa Pork Producers Association.
For more information regarding the Iowa Pork Youth Leadership Team, contact the Iowa Pork Producers Association at (800) 372-7675 or email@example.com.