Breakfast Egg Rolls
Servings: 5 servings (2 egg rolls each)
- 8 eggs
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ pound ground mild pork sausage
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- 2 tablespoons diced chives
- 10 egg roll wrappers
Sauce Ingredients (optional):
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, half and half, black pepper; set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage and cook the bacon pieces until brown and crispy.
- Pour the egg mixture into the skillet and cook until the eggs are done.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the eggs and chives.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup of the filling into the center of an egg roll wrapper.
- Fold one corner in toward the center and then bring the two side corners into the center.
- Dab a little bit of water onto the remaining corner of the egg roll wrapper. Roll it up and then repeat with the remaining egg rolls.
- Preheat about 1½ inches of vegetable oil in a large skillet until the oil reaches 350 F.
- Fry the egg rolls (about 1 to 2 minutes on each side); remove from the oil and enjoy warm with chipotle dipping sauce.
- For the (optional) sauce – Combine all the ingredients and then serve with the hot egg rolls.
TO MAKE AHEAD:
Filling can be prepared in advance and kept refrigerated until you’re ready to form and fry the egg rolls. We don’t recommend frying egg rolls ahead of time and reheating, as they’ll lose their crunch.
- While this recipe calls for sausage and bacon, you can opt to use all sausage (use 12 ounces), all bacon (use 12 slices), or even diced ham (use about 1½ cups).
- Add a little spice with pepper jack cheese in place of cheddar.
- Try dipping in salsa or fresh guacamole instead of chipotle sauce.