Iowa Pork Collegiate Team
Be part of our first class in 2024! The application period ends Jan. 1, 2024.
What is the Iowa Pork Collegiate Team?
A team of 10 collegiate individuals with the goal to grow as future leaders of the pork industry by enhancing their leadership, promotion, and advocacy skills.
Who can apply?
Any post-secondary student who has completed high school and is attending a two- to four-year institution with a demonstrated interest in positively contributing to the pork industry.
Up to 10 students are selected. Getting representation from a variety of universities and colleges is a priority. We encourage students to apply again if they do not get in their first year applying.
Session 1 (via Zoom) — February. Exact date will be based on team members' availability. Discuss team expectations and learn about the Iowa Pork Producers Association.
Session 2 — March 20. Pork Day on the Hill and leadership training | Des Moines
Session 3 — June 14. Public speaking/media training | Iowa Pork Producers Association office, Clive
Iowa Pork Congress (optional) — Jan. 21. Team recognition at the Annual Meeting Luncheon | Des Moines
Members of the Iowa Pork Collegiate Team will be encouraged to get involved and participate in local and other state activities.
Meals, lodging, and other expenses will be paid for by the Iowa Pork Producers Association.
All team members will receive a $1,000 scholarship if requirements are met. The team member with the most volunteer hours will receive a scholarship of $1,500.
Experience and trainings
- Gallup® CliftonStrengths training with DeAnn Malone.
- Interact with legislators at the Iowa Capitol (Pork Day on the Hill).
- Learn about the Iowa Pork Producers Association and the Iowa pork industry.
- Advocacy communication/public speaking training at Wixted & Co. in West Des Moines.
- Participate in local and state-level events and activities.
- Attend all three sessions.
- Complete 35 volunteer hours (from March through the end of January). This can include but is not limited to: attending events while representing the pork industry, speaking to different groups to educate others about the pork industry, and using your social media platforms to promote the pork industry (four posts = one hour of work).
- Complete a social media project.
- Be an Iowa resident.
- Attend a two- to four-year institution.
- Demonstrate an interest in positively contributing to the pork industry.
NOTE: Members will sign a form agreeing to attend three sessions during the year, as well as other Iowa Pork Collegiate Team requirements. Team members must also be available via email and by phone during the year.