Big Game Italian Pork Sandwiches
For Italian Pork:
1 pork loin roast (weight: around 3 lbs.)
1 packet of dry Italian dressing mix
1 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 cup Italian dressing
6 tbsp cold butter cut into 1 tbsp chunks
1/2 cup chicken stock
For Peppers and Onions:
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp butter
1 yellow onions, cut into 1/2” rings, then rings cut into half
2 bell peppers of various colors, cut into 1/2″ strips
3/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
To complete sandwiches:
6 sturdy hoagie rolls
2 tbsp butter for spreading onto rolls
3/4 pound of provolone or pepperjack cheese, grated
- Remove pork loin roast from packaging, set on a plate or cutting board.
- Combine dressing mix, seasoned salt, and black pepper. Rub into roast, place in slow cooker.
- Pour Italian dressing over roast. Place tablespoon sized pats of butter on top of roast. Add chicken stock around sides of roast.
- Cover and set slow cooker on LOW setting for 6 to 8 hours, or high for 3 to 4 hours until roast shreds.
For peppers and onions:
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add vegetable oil, butter, and onions. Cook until onions begin to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add pepper strips, garlic salt and black pepper. Cook, stirring often, until onions and peppers are tender, but not mushy, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat, set aside.
- Shred and chop pork loin roast into bite-sized shards.
- Return pork to slow cooker and stir pork with remaining cooking liquid.
- Butter and toast hoagie rolls, if desired.
Place 6 rolls into a 9x13 baking dish.
- Fill rolls with ample amounts of pork and onion/pepper mixture. Top with grated cheese.
- Bake at 450 F until cheese is melted and golden, 5 to 10 minutes.
Note: It is important to have a hearty bun, because of the juiciness of the sandwich. If your bun is light, fluffy, and soft, the juices may soak right in and you’ll have a soft sandwich. Toasting the buns helps keep them sturdy, too. Depending on the size of the hoagie buns you get, you may have to snip the ends of them off to fit nicely in a 9x13 pan.