Dennis Liljedahl, a second-generation pig farmer from Essex, is the new president of the Iowa Pork Producers Association (IPPA). The change in leadership followed the IPPA annual meeting on Jan. 26. Liljedahl, who had served as president-elect in 2020, replaces Mike Paustian of Walcott. Paustian now holds the past president position on the IPPA Board of Directors. Both will serve one-year terms in those roles.
Liljedahl has been a member of the IPPA Board of Directors since 2016, when he was elected by pig farmers in his area to represent them as the District 5 Director. He became a member of the executive committee in 2018. He has served on several IPPA committees and has been chairman of two – the public relations and research committees. He has also represented IPPA on two Iowa trade missions, one to China in 2017 and one to South Korea and Taiwan in 2019.
Other changes on the IPPA board include:
- a new president-elect, who is Kevin Rasmussen of Goldfield. He formerly represented District 2 on the board.
- Trish Cook, Winthrop, continues as the NE Region director and adds responsibilities as the vice president of resources.
- Kyler Oswald, Coon Rapids, is the newDistrict 5 director. He was elected by those in his district to fill the position that Curtis Meier, Clarinda, held as an interim director for the past 10 months.
- Aaron Juergens, Carroll, was elected by those in Districts 5 and 6 as the SW Region director. He replaces Jason Hocker of Audubon, whose term had expired.
- Jeff Johnson, Dunkerton, will fill the Allied position role. The board of directors elected Johnson to fill the term previously held by Stan Cavner, Iowa Falls.
- Ben Schmaling, Prescott, will fill one of the two Stakeholder positions on the board. Schmaling replaces Jarrod Bakker of Dike, whose term had expired.
- an interim director for District 2 will be appointed by the board at their March meeting.
The board oversees leadership and direction for all IPPA Pork Checkoff programs, public policy and general direction of the organization.